Children of any age may decorate our plain paper bags to be used by Terra Toys. The plain white or brown paper bags may be picked up at Terra Toys (sizes subject to availability) for a 2 cent deposit per bag, which will be refunded when bags are returned. Children may decorate the bags at home or at school: teachers may want to use bag-decorating as an activity to correlate with other classroom projects (for instance, if you’re studying nutrition, draw pictures of food!). Terra Toys pays between 2 and 10 cents per decorated bag, prices depending both on bag size and quality of work.
Some guidelines for bag art:
- Suggested media includes crayon, watercolour, poster paint, markers, colored pencil, collage, rubbings, stampings, stencils, etc.
- Please do not use messy materials such as chalk, pastels, charcoal, etc., which may rub off on hands and clothing.
- Please do not use processes which make bags unusable, such as cutting designs into the bags or using stiff glue.
- Make the bags bright and colorful. Often Terra Toys customers like to use their decorated bags in place of wrapping paper. If your bags are bright and colorful you’ll help people recycle.
- Art may be representational or abstract; please no messages, political or religious slogans, etc.
Terra Toys reserves the right to turn down artwork which does not meet our standards. We may also choose to pay less than the maximum price for artwork which is less than dazzling, or we may request that the artist “finish” the piece.
We realize that children of varying ages and artistic abilities are not going to produce the same quality work; however any child or group of children, with materials and processes appropriate for their ages and skills, can produce beautiful designs. Bag art for Terra Toys can be a good way to introduce children to the idea of working for money, and to let them learn for themselves that sometimes work is fun. Give those junior Picassos an audience!