Terra Toys is opening an art gallery, and we need artists!
We are looking for art by children of any and all ages. If you are interested in submitting your artwork, and the art meet the requirements listed below, send images to email@example.com. In your email, please provide your name, the size of your piece, your materials, and your price.
In the spirit of Terra Toys, the content of submissions should include toys, fairy tales, fantasy, whimsical imagery and imaginary creatures. No copyrighted or licensed images, please.
Oil, acrylic, pencil, and ink are preferred. Other materials may be used, but in a professional manner — for example, a collage or charcoal piece must be sealed with a coat to prevent peeling or smudging.
We ask that your submission be no smaller than 4×4 inches and no larger than 48×48 inches. However, we make exceptions for exceptional pieces.
Your art piece must be ready for the gallery! All pieces should have a hanging device on the back to go up on our gallery wall. Drawings must be framed; canvas art does not need a frame, but it is highly encouraged. Canvas art should have staples on the back, not sides.
If selected, your artwork will be displayed at Terra Toys for up to 90 days. If the piece does not sell in the 90-day timeframe, it must be picked up by the artist.
Terra Toys takes a standard gallery consignment of 50% of the selling price. "Consignment" means that neither party gets paid until the artwork sells. If you want $20 for your art, we will charge $40 to the purchaser. When deciding on your price, make sure it is fair, but worth it.
We will only consider art submitted through email; please do not bring your pieces into the store for art gallery consideration.
If you’ve walked by our store lately you may have noticed a little sign hanging in a nearby window…
That’s right! Terra Toys is expanding with the addition of an espresso bar and toy art gallery! You’ve heard of a Fine Art Gallery? Well this is a Fine Toy Art Gallery! Here we’ll feature all of our wonderful antiques and strange rarities from around the world, as well as artwork that focuses on our favorite subject – Toys! If you know anyone who wants their art showcased in our store, stay posted for the Terra Toys CALL for ART SUBMISSIONS! Keep an eye out for more news and grand opening announcements!
It’s the time of year to make Valentine’s for those special people in your life, and sometimes construction paper just won’t cut it! That’s why you can join us at Terra Toys to paint and decorate your very own WOODEN Valentine!
Drop by on Thursday February 12th and Friday February 13th between 2:00 and 4:00 pm to get started on your lovely work of art.
As with EVERY Terra Toys event, ALL materials are provided for you, and this event is TOTALLY FREE! So come join us!
Here we are getting ready to light one of our beautiful heart-shaped sparklers! So bright and red — the perfect thing to share with a loved one on Valentine’s Day! They are $8 for a box of SIX sparklers!
It’s Official! The Terra Toys Top Ten Toys for 2014 is here!
Like most of our toys, these top ten winners will be available to touch and play with for the whole rest of the year, but if you want more action, join us for live demonstrations and refreshments on Friday November 21st, 12pm to 4pm.
1. C-1 Spider Launcher – An air-powered dart launcher you wear as a glove! Just squeeze your hand into a fist to send the foam darts flying. And you can keep your extra ammo in the wristband quiver! Perfect for a superhero-in-training! Ages 5+.
2. Tegu Magnetic Blocks – Made in Tegucigalpa, Honduras, these little building toys combine the classic look of traditional wooden blocks with the flexibility and fun of magnets! They are totally unique and come in gorgeous color schemes for ages 1+.
3. Loop de Loom – Weave your very own scarves, cuffs, purses, pillowcases — the possibilities are endless with this new kind of loom! Weaving is as easy as threading yarn through the spinning pegs. You can even interlock multiple sets for longer projects! Simple and fun for ages 8+.
4. Folkmanis Black Cat Puppet – One of the most exceptionally lifelike and user-friendly puppets we’ve come across! These little kitty puppets are soft, lovable, and easy to use. Puurrrfect for ages 3+.
5. Dino Construction Vehicle Trio – Super sturdy hybrid dinosaur-machines! Choose from a Steam Roller, Skid Loader, and a Bulldozer. The perfect toy for someone who loves trucks and dinosaur figures. Ages 3+.
6. Animo Tractor Play Set – An adorable wooden play set from the French company Janod. Complete with farm animals, a tractor and a pull cart, this imaginative little scene is great for ages 18 months+.
7. Zither Heaven Rock-it Stick – Part guitar, part dulcimer, this maple wood instrument sounds great no matter what your level of musical experience, thanks to clever D-A-D tuning. Made in the USA. Ages 6+.
8. Lottie Dolls – These award-winning dolls come in a huge range of styles and interests! Whether you love butterflies or pirates, ponies or robots, snow queens or karate – Lottie loves it all too. Best of all, the Lottie Dolls have a childlike frame, with no high heels and no makeup. They’re regular kids just like you! Ages 3+.
9. Snap Circuits Green – Learn about alternate energy with this innovative take on the Snap Circuits science kits! Simply snap the pieces together to learn all about electricity, energy and circuitry. Build an FM radio, a solar-powered clock, a hybrid car, and many more! Ages 8+.
10. Nanoblocks – Build 8-bit inspired models of animals, instruments, or famous landmarks with these TEENY TINY Lego-like bricks! The small pieces allow for intricate detail and endless possibilities. Perfect for architects and gamers alike! Ages 8.+
Its starting to get cold in Austin and all we can think about here at Terra Toys is Christmas!!!
And of course Christmas at the Terra Toys means the unveiling of the Top Ten Toys of the Year!
But before we reveal our Top Ten of the year, we want to tell you all about where the Top Ten list came from and why we continue to do it every year!
The first Top Ten Toys for Christmas was in 2009, when a fellow staff member made a list of her favorites to help her remember during the busy season! All the other staff members liked the idea and made different lists, each with their very own favorites of the year. Now, it has become a list of all the employees favorites, compiled into the most frequently listed toys!
The Top Ten Toys are the toys that we are going to highlight and demonstrate during the Christmas season. The list helps customers know our favorite toys without having to ask, and they can see what it looks like and be able to touch and demo each toy!
This year we are going to host an amazing Top Ten Release Party!
We’ll be celebrating all day long on Friday November 21st!
With music, bubbles, refreshments and best of all, TOYS! That’s right, each of this year’s Top Ten Toys will be off of the shelf, out of the box, ready for YOU to try out and play with.
The entire list with descriptions will be revealed on November 18th on our website!
How do you go Trick-or-Treating in a toy store? First, you build some awesome little cardboard houses! Then you place them all around the toys within the store. And finally, you invite all your favorite puppet friends to come out and give away candy!
This Friday we will be hosting a Halloween party from 2 to 7 at Terra Toys. Kids of all ages can come in costume and gather up candy from our puppet pals in every corner of the store! PLUS we’ll be serving sparkling apple cider to wash it all down! Yummm!
If you have a really spectacular costume this year, make sure you stick around for our Costume Contests at 3, 4, 5, 6, AND 7 o’clock! That’s FIVE contests and FIVE chances to win awesome goodie bags filled with treats and toys!
And even if you don’t have a costume this year, you can come over and try out our spooky Halloween Mystery Feels! Stick your hand in a covered box — IF YOU DARE! — and try to guess what CREEPY thing you’re touching. No peeking, though! If you can guess all the Mystery Feels, you could win a goodie bag!
Just like all Terra Toys events, this Halloween Party is totally free and open to the public! There are a lot of chances to take home candy and toys on your Halloween afternoon. All you have to do is stop in at Terra Toys any time between 2 and 7 this Friday and play with us!
If you’ve driven by Terra Toys lately, you may have noticed the sign announcing our Diwali Sparklers!
Lots of people have come in asking about the sign and what it means, so we wanted to share some of our knowledge with you.
Diwali is a Hindu festival that begins on October 23 this year. Sparklers are popular during Diwali because it is a festival of lights. It’s all about celebrating the triumph of light over darkness. In India, all the streets and buildings are covered in lights for Diwali — so much so that the country is actually more noticeable to astronauts in space during the festival!
This year we are going to have a Diwali celebration at Terra Toys! On Thursday, October 23, from 7 pm to 8 pm, we will light up a bunch of our favorite sparklers and demonstrate our favorite light-up toys. So keep the date and come on by to play with us!
And whether you are celebrating a holiday, walking down the aisle, or you just need to brighten up your week, don’t forget that you can come to Terra Toys anytime year-round to ask for a free fireworks demonstration!